A school counselor is a person who provides guidance expertise and services at the elementary, secondary and post-secondary level. In the United States licensure requirements as regards school counselors vary. Most states require that one has a school counseling masters in order to be a recognized school counselor for that state.
A masters in this field can enable you to enter an interesting and rewarding profession. Many people prefer to take their program online because of the convenience, e.g., you don’t have to leave work, you can study in the comfort of your own home, you don’t have to travel. This page provides more details of both online and on campus programs, lists suitable schools for these programs, and outlines the career prospects after graduation.
What do you study?
In general the program will provide you with the educational background and the necessary professional preparation in being able to provide counsel services to children and adolescents in the educational and social spheres. By taking these courses, one will also be exposed to classes and training on the psychological development of children, how to counsel multicultural adolescents and children as well as theories and applications. Hands on experiences are provided through the attendance of seminars and supervised experience at participating local schools.
Should you be interested in taking up a school counseling masters degree, there are necessary prerequisites. All graduate schools do require you to have finished an undergraduate degree. Some graduate schools are more specific, requiring an undergraduate degree in education, counseling or child psychology. Depending on experience and exposure, most if not all require candidates to complete a GRE examination and submit their respective transcripts.
Once you are admitted, coursework focuses on the both theoretical and practical aspects of counseling provision. Counseling courses and subjects provided provided cover techniques, theories, how to counsel groups, developmental psychology, basics for both individuals and schools, curriculum organization and how to administer counseling programs.
Gaining and earning the final masters degree in this field may sometimes require a final thesis, project or long paper. Depending on the university one is enrolled with, some students gain their degrees by only submitting a portfolio prior to their graduation. Thus requirements may differ across schools and campuses.
What are the career prospects with a school counseling masters?
Once you have completed your graduate requirements and finally hold that graduate degree in your hand, what can you expect in terms of school counseling jobs and salary? According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics data of 2008, counselors held about 665,500 positions, with an expected job growth for this field of14% before 2018. This is basically a faster demand than most jobs currently offered. Median annual incomes are not bad either, with the median annual salary for a school counselor in 2008 ranging around USD 57,800 or roughly USD 4,816 a month.
Thus with the expected double digit demand for counselor related jobs, and the apparently attractive salary structure, it is quite practical and recommended to get more training in this field as regards a masters degree. One must remember however that state regulations for licensure, acceptance and placements differ so you needs to do a bit of research and forecasting on where you wants to be once you finish the degree. All in all, a career in school counseling is well worth it.
List of schools and programs
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.S. Applied Behavior Analysis
- Earn a graduate degree from an established university that shares your values of social justice and healthy communities.
- All online master’s degree courses are instructed by experienced, accomplished faculty.
- Our rigorous online master’s degrees can be completed in as little as two years.
- New online graduate students are eligible for scholarships and other offers.
- Master of Arts in Psychology: Specialization in Military Psychology
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Science in General Psychology
- Offers online master’s and doctor of philosophy programs in Psychology.
- Students may also enhance their professional development and choose from several specializations, including Addiction, Gender Diversity Studies, Organizational Psychology, and more.
- Both the master’s and doctor of philosophy programs have no GRE or GMAT exam requirements.
- 100% of faculty possesses a doctoral degree in their field.
- Most courses are online, but some require in-person engagement in local communities through internships/externships and other clinically supervised activities.
- MAMFT - LGBTQ Couple and Family Therapy
- MAMFT - Military Family Therapy
- Marriage & Family Therapy - Master of Arts
- And more...
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Human Services, Bachelor of Science in Psychology in Addiction, and more.
- Approved as an education provider by the National Association for Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Counselors (NAADAC).
- Courses cover topics such as addiction science, assessment, prevention, and treatment.
- Students learn how to identify, plan, and use resources to help improve client situations.
- MS in Psychology - General Psychology
- MS in Psychology
- MS in Psychology - Applied Behavior Analysis Specialization
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
A liberal arts institution with 16 colleges and schools, Liberty offers programs in fields such as medicine, religion, law, aviation, cinematic arts, psychology, business, and more. Part of the Big South Conference, Liberty fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams and 32 Club Sports teams, offering fans an unparalleled college sports experience.
- M.Ed. - School Counseling
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- MA in Marriage and Family Therapy
One of the world's leading private research institutions, the University of Southern California (USC) was founded in 1880. What began as an academic institution of just 53 students has now grown to more than 38,000. Today USC continues to uphold its tradition of integrating liberal and professional education, fostering a vibrant culture of public service and encouraging students to cross academic as well as geographic boundaries in their pursuit of knowledge.
- Online Master of Science in Applied Psychology
- MS Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology - Forensic Psychology
- MS Political Science
- And more...
Pursue an advanced degree in Psychology or Counseling at Divine Mercy University. Study for an M.S. online, or start your Psy.D. in Clinical Psychology on campus. Learn more now
- Online M.S. Counseling