A school counselor is a person who provides guidance expertise and services at the elementary, secondary and post-secondary level. In the United States licensure requirements as regards school counselors vary. Most states require that one has a school counseling masters in order to be a recognized school counselor for that state.
A masters in this field can enable you to enter an interesting and rewarding profession. Many people prefer to take their program online because of the convenience, e.g., you don’t have to leave work, you can study in the comfort of your own home, you don’t have to travel. This page provides more details of both online and on campus programs, lists suitable schools for these programs, and outlines the career prospects after graduation.
What do you study?
In general the program will provide you with the educational background and the necessary professional preparation in being able to provide counsel services to children and adolescents in the educational and social spheres. By taking these courses, one will also be exposed to classes and training on the psychological development of children, how to counsel multicultural adolescents and children as well as theories and applications. Hands on experiences are provided through the attendance of seminars and supervised experience at participating local schools.
Should you be interested in taking up a school counseling masters degree, there are necessary prerequisites. All graduate schools do require you to have finished an undergraduate degree. Some graduate schools are more specific, requiring an undergraduate degree in education, counseling or child psychology. Depending on experience and exposure, most if not all require candidates to complete a GRE examination and submit their respective transcripts.
Once you are admitted, coursework focuses on the both theoretical and practical aspects of counseling provision. Counseling courses and subjects provided provided cover techniques, theories, how to counsel groups, developmental psychology, basics for both individuals and schools, curriculum organization and how to administer counseling programs.
Gaining and earning the final masters degree in this field may sometimes require a final thesis, project or long paper. Depending on the university one is enrolled with, some students gain their degrees by only submitting a portfolio prior to their graduation. Thus requirements may differ across schools and campuses.
What are the career prospects with a school counseling masters?
Once you have completed your graduate requirements and finally hold that graduate degree in your hand, what can you expect in terms of school counseling jobs and salary? According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics data of 2008, counselors held about 665,500 positions, with an expected job growth for this field of14% before 2018. This is basically a faster demand than most jobs currently offered. Median annual incomes are not bad either, with the median annual salary for a school counselor in 2008 ranging around USD 57,800 or roughly USD 4,816 a month.
Thus with the expected double digit demand for counselor related jobs, and the apparently attractive salary structure, it is quite practical and recommended to get more training in this field as regards a masters degree. One must remember however that state regulations for licensure, acceptance and placements differ so you needs to do a bit of research and forecasting on where you wants to be once you finish the degree. All in all, a career in school counseling is well worth it.
List of schools and programs
- Earn your Master's or Doctorate degree online
- Choose from degrees within the schools of Psychology, Organizational Leadership or Social, Human and Educational Development
- Accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and a member of the North Central Association
- All faculty hold doctorate degrees and bring real world experience to the classroom
- MA in Psychology, Career Management and Counseling Specialization
- MA in Psychology, General Psychology
- Several institutional scholarship opportunities are available to students who qualify.
- Features several learning model options, including online, residency, and hybrid options.
- Offers graduate degree programs in organizational leadership, mind-body medicine, psychology and human science.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- Two teaching locations in Seattle, Washington with the university headquarters located in Oakland, California.
- M.A. Psychology
- M.A. in Counseling
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- M.S. in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- And more...
- Offers online master’s and doctoral programs in Psychology and Marriage & Family Sciences.
- Students may choose from several specializations, including Addiction, Gender Diversity Studies, Industrial/Organizational Psychology, Marriage and Family Therapy and more.
- Both the master’s and doctoral programs have no GRE or GMAT exam requirements.
- 100% of faculty possesses a doctoral degree in their field.
- MAMFT - LGBTQ Couple and Family Therapy
- MAMFT - Military Family Therapy
- Marriage & Family Therapy - Master of Arts
- And more...
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Master of Arts in Counseling - Professional School Counseling (PSC)
University of Valley Forge was founded in 1939 and is part of an international network of Assemblies of God colleges and universities.
A private university with undergraduate, graduate and lifelong learning programs, our mission is to prepare individuals for a life of service and leadership in the church and in the world.
- MS - Psychology
Study online with California University of Pennsylvania. We offer certificate and bachelor's and master's degree programs in a wide variety of fields that can be completed 100% online.
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online