Educational psychology masters programs cover a wide range of topics in education and psychology, including stages of development, psychological foundations of education, instructional strategies, and psychology research testing, methods and analysis. These degrees, as well as masters in school counseling and developmental psychology degrees, are very often of interest to those wishing to work as school psychologists, who deal with the social, emotional, academic, behavioral, and cognitive well-being of children and adolescents within a school setting. After completing a masters, you might then want to proceed to a doctorate in educational psychology.
This page tells you more about these masters programs, where they can be taken, and the career prospects after graduation.
What do you study in masters in educational psychology programs?
A typical MA or MS educational psychology online program would include the stages of development, psychological foundations of education, instructional strategies, and psychology research testing, methods and analysis. The program may include the following educational psychology masters courses:
- Biological Basis of Behaviour
- Contemporary Issues in Psychology
- Human Motivation
- Research Design
- The Cognitive Approach
- Psychology of Education
- Instructional Design
- Tests and Measurement
- Psychological Testing
- The Developmental Approach
- Culture and Psychology
A thesis may be required in addition or in place of some of the courses.
What jobs do graduates get?
One can find graduates of educational psychology in management jobs or specialist positions in education, training, testing, or research. With an educational psychology masters, in a job as a school psychologist you could expect a salary of over US$52,000 (PayScales.com). Graduates can also find jobs as guidance counselors, educators, or social workers.
List of schools and programs
- Designated as a 2015 Military Friendly® School by Victory Media, publishers of G.I. Jobs®.
- Each program is designed to instill the knowledge, ethical values, and interpersonal skills of professional practice and to foster values of social responsibility.
- Offers several flexible learning options, including a blended format that combines campus and online learning.
- Several scholarship opportunities are available for students who qualify.
- School Psychology (MA)
- School Psychology (EdS)
- Educational Psychology (MA)
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
A liberal arts institution with 16 colleges and schools, Liberty offers programs in fields such as medicine, religion, law, aviation, cinematic arts, psychology, business, and more. Part of the Big South Conference, Liberty fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams and 32 Club Sports teams, offering fans an unparalleled college sports experience.
- M.Ed. - School Counseling
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- MA in Marriage and Family Therapy
As a community of initiative, University of the Southwest challenges graduates to become enterprising members of our society contributing to the common good by advocating and participating in the productive commerce of free enterprise, the constitutional privilege of self-government, and the practical contributions of community service.
- MSEd: School Counseling
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Psychology - General Psychology
- MS in Psychology
- MS in Psychology - Applied Behavior Analysis Specialization
Abilene Christian University is a national leader in Christian higher education and a place where students, faculty, staff and alumni make a real difference in the world.
- Master of Marriage and Family Therapy - specialization in Medical Family Therapy
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Master of Science in Psychology : Applied Behavior Analysis
- Master of Science: Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology : General Psychology
As a recognized leader in higher education since 1920, IWU empowers busy adults to reach their educational goals, advance in their careers, and find their true calling in life, all within a supportive, faith-based environment.
- Master of Arts in Community Counseling
- Master of Arts in Marriage and Family Therapy
- Graduate Counseling Unclassified
- And more...
- M.A. Marriage and Family Therapy, Trauma Studies
- M.A. Marriage and Family Therapy, Latina/Latino Family Studies
- M.A. Marriage and Family Therapy, African American Family Studies
- And more...
Pursue an advanced degree in Psychology or Counseling at Divine Mercy University. Study for an M.S. online, or start your Psy.D. in Clinical Psychology on campus. Learn more now
- Online M.S. Counseling
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4,285 students at campuses across the country (Chicago, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C.) and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years. TCSPP offers more than 20 degree programs and a wealth of opportunities for international experiences.
- M.A. Counseling Psychology
- M.S. Applied Behavior Analysis