Educational psychology masters programs cover a wide range of topics in education and psychology, including stages of development, psychological foundations of education, instructional strategies, and psychology research testing, methods and analysis. These degrees, as well as masters in school counseling and developmental psychology degrees, are very often of interest to those wishing to work as school psychologists, who deal with the social, emotional, academic, behavioral, and cognitive well-being of children and adolescents within a school setting. After completing a masters, you might then want to proceed to a doctorate in educational psychology.
This page tells you more about these masters programs, where they can be taken, and the career prospects after graduation.
What do you study in masters in educational psychology programs?
A typical MA or MS educational psychology online program would include the stages of development, psychological foundations of education, instructional strategies, and psychology research testing, methods and analysis. The program may include the following educational psychology masters courses:
- Biological Basis of Behaviour
- Contemporary Issues in Psychology
- Human Motivation
- Research Design
- The Cognitive Approach
- Psychology of Education
- Instructional Design
- Tests and Measurement
- Psychological Testing
- The Developmental Approach
- Culture and Psychology
A thesis may be required in addition or in place of some of the courses.
What jobs do graduates get?
One can find graduates of educational psychology in management jobs or specialist positions in education, training, testing, or research. With an educational psychology masters, in a job as a school psychologist you could expect a salary of over US$52,000 (PayScales.com). Graduates can also find jobs as guidance counselors, educators, or social workers.
List of schools and programs
- Master's Degree in Psychology: Designed for the Working Adult
- Flexibility: We offer convenient online or evening programs to fit your schedule.
- Variety: Choose from General Psychology or an emphasis in Industrial & Organizational Psychology.
- Programs focus on the development of critical thinking and leadership qualities, as they apply to your profession.
- Degrees designed for individuals who desire promotion and/or continued academic exposure in the field of psychology.
- Speak with an enrollment counselor today & decide which program interests you!
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- M.S. in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- And more...
- Several institutional scholarship opportunities are available to students who qualify.
- Features several learning model options, including online, residency, and hybrid options.
- Offers graduate degree programs in organizational leadership, mind-body medicine, psychology and human science.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- Two teaching locations in Seattle, Washington with the university headquarters located in Oakland, California.
- M.A. Psychology
- M.A. in Counseling
- Offers online master’s and doctor of philosophy programs in Psychology.
- Students may also enhance their professional development and choose from several specializations, including Addiction, Gender Diversity Studies, Organizational Psychology, and more.
- Both the master’s and doctor of philosophy programs have no GRE or GMAT exam requirements.
- 100% of faculty possesses a doctoral degree in their field.
- Most courses are online, but some require in-person engagement in local communities through internships/externships and other clinically supervised activities.
- MAMFT - LGBTQ Couple and Family Therapy
- MAMFT - Military Family Therapy
- Marriage & Family Therapy - Master of Arts
- And more...
- Offers online & on-campus Master’s in Medical Family Therapy programs with an optional certification in Medical Family Therapy
- Students participate in a clinical internship with 500 client contact hours and 100 hours of supervision prior to completing the program
- Topics covered include Couples Therapy, Addictive Disorders, Systematic Diagnosis & Assessment, & more
- Eligible students can enroll in clinical training program after completing their coursework
- Master of Marriage and Family Therapy
- Master of Marriage and Family Therapy - Treatment of Trauma
- Master of Marriage and Family Therapy - Child & Adolescent Therapy
- And more...
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
A liberal arts institution with 16 colleges and schools, Liberty offers programs in fields such as medicine, religion, law, aviation, cinematic arts, psychology, business, and more. Part of the Big South Conference, Liberty fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams and 32 Club Sports teams, offering fans an unparalleled college sports experience.
- M.Ed. - School Counseling
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- MA in Marriage and Family Therapy
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Master of Science in General Psychology
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Master of Science in Psychology : Applied Behavior Analysis
- Master of Science: Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology : General Psychology
- MS Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology - Forensic Psychology
- MS Political Science
- And more...
University of Valley Forge was founded in 1939 and is part of an international network of Assemblies of God colleges and universities.
A private university with undergraduate, graduate and lifelong learning programs, our mission is to prepare individuals for a life of service and leadership in the church and in the world.
- MS - Psychology
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Master of Arts in Counseling - Professional School Counseling (PSC)