Educational psychology masters programs cover a wide range of topics in education and psychology, including stages of development, psychological foundations of education, instructional strategies, and psychology research testing, methods and analysis. These degrees, as well as masters in school counseling and developmental psychology degrees, are very often of interest to those wishing to work as school psychologists, who deal with the social, emotional, academic, behavioral, and cognitive well-being of children and adolescents within a school setting. After completing a masters, you might then want to proceed to a doctorate in educational psychology.
This page tells you more about these masters programs, where they can be taken, and the career prospects after graduation.
What do you study in masters in educational psychology programs?
A typical MA or MS educational psychology online program would include the stages of development, psychological foundations of education, instructional strategies, and psychology research testing, methods and analysis. The program may include the following educational psychology masters courses:
- Biological Basis of Behaviour
- Contemporary Issues in Psychology
- Human Motivation
- Research Design
- The Cognitive Approach
- Psychology of Education
- Instructional Design
- Tests and Measurement
- Psychological Testing
- The Developmental Approach
- Culture and Psychology
A thesis may be required in addition or in place of some of the courses.
What jobs do graduates get?
One can find graduates of educational psychology in management jobs or specialist positions in education, training, testing, or research. With an educational psychology masters, in a job as a school psychologist you could expect a salary of over US$52,000 (PayScales.com). Graduates can also find jobs as guidance counselors, educators, or social workers.
List of schools and programs
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
A liberal arts institution with 16 colleges and schools, Liberty offers programs in fields such as medicine, religion, law, aviation, cinematic arts, psychology, business, and more. Part of the Big South Conference, Liberty fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams and 32 Club Sports teams, offering fans an unparalleled college sports experience.
- M.Ed. - School Counseling
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- MA in Marriage and Family Therapy
As a community of initiative, University of the Southwest challenges graduates to become enterprising members of our society contributing to the common good by advocating and participating in the productive commerce of free enterprise, the constitutional privilege of self-government, and the practical contributions of community service.
- MSEd: School Counseling
- Several institutional scholarship opportunities are available to students who qualify.
- Features several learning model options, including online, residency, and hybrid options.
- Offers graduate degree programs in organizational leadership, mind-body medicine, psychology and human science.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- Two teaching locations in Seattle, Washington with the university headquarters located in Oakland, California.
- M.A. Psychology
- M.A. in Counseling
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Psychology with an Emphasis in Forensic Psychology
- M.S. Psychology with an Emphasis in Geropsychology
- M.S. in Psychology: General Psychology
- And more...
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Psychology - Applied Behavior Analysis Specialization
- MS in Psychology - General Psychology
- MS in Psychology
One of the world's leading private research institutions, the University of Southern California (USC) was founded in 1880. What began as an academic institution of just 53 students has now grown to more than 38,000. Today USC continues to uphold its tradition of integrating liberal and professional education, fostering a vibrant culture of public service and encouraging students to cross academic as well as geographic boundaries in their pursuit of knowledge.
- Online Master of Science in Applied Psychology
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4,285 students at campuses across the country (Chicago, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C.) and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years. TCSPP offers more than 20 degree programs and a wealth of opportunities for international experiences.
- M.S. Applied Behavior Analysis
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- MAMFT - LGBTQ Couple and Family Therapy
- MAMFT - Medical Family Therapy
- Marriage & Family Therapy - Master of Arts
- And more...
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Master of Science in General Psychology
- Offers online & on-campus Master’s in Medical Family Therapy programs with an optional certification in Medical Family Therapy
- Students participate in a clinical internship with 500 client contact hours and 100 hours of supervision prior to completing the program
- Topics covered include Couples Therapy, Addictive Disorders, Systematic Diagnosis & Assessment, & more
- Eligible students can enroll in clinical training program after completing their coursework
- Master of Marriage and Family Therapy
- Master of Marriage and Family Therapy - Child & Adolescent Therapy
- Master of Marriage and Family Therapy - Treatment of Trauma
- And more...