Educational psychology masters programs cover a wide range of topics in education and psychology, including stages of development, psychological foundations of education, instructional strategies, and psychology research testing, methods and analysis. These degrees, as well as masters in school counseling and developmental psychology degrees, are very often of interest to those wishing to work as school psychologists, who deal with the social, emotional, academic, behavioral, and cognitive well-being of children and adolescents within a school setting. After completing a masters, you might then want to proceed to a doctorate in educational psychology.
This page tells you more about these masters programs, where they can be taken, and the career prospects after graduation.
What do you study in masters in educational psychology programs?
A typical MA or MS educational psychology online program would include the stages of development, psychological foundations of education, instructional strategies, and psychology research testing, methods and analysis. The program may include the following educational psychology masters courses:
- Biological Basis of Behaviour
- Contemporary Issues in Psychology
- Human Motivation
- Research Design
- The Cognitive Approach
- Psychology of Education
- Instructional Design
- Tests and Measurement
- Psychological Testing
- The Developmental Approach
- Culture and Psychology
A thesis may be required in addition or in place of some of the courses.
What jobs do graduates get?
One can find graduates of educational psychology in management jobs or specialist positions in education, training, testing, or research. With an educational psychology masters, in a job as a school psychologist you could expect a salary of over US$52,000 (PayScales.com). Graduates can also find jobs as guidance counselors, educators, or social workers.
List of schools and programs
- Earn your Master's or Doctorate degree online
- Choose from degrees within the schools of Psychology, Organizational Leadership or Social, Human and Educational Development
- Accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and a member of the North Central Association
- All faculty hold doctorate degrees and bring real world experience to the classroom
- MA in Psychology, Career Management and Counseling Specialization
- MA in Psychology, General Psychology
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Psychology - Crisis Management & Response
- M.S. in Psychology - Program Evaluation and Research
- M.S. in Psychology - Media Psychology
- And more...
- Grand Canyon University - Where a Quality Education and Faith Coexist
- Recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- We support students through their academic and spiritual journey.
- GCU offers the convenience of online, on-campus, or evening programs.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- M.S. in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- And more...
- Several institutional scholarship opportunities are available to students who qualify.
- Features several learning model options, including online, residency, and hybrid options.
- Offers graduate degree programs in organizational leadership, mind-body medicine, psychology and human science.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- Two teaching locations in Seattle, Washington with the university headquarters located in Oakland, California.
- M.A. Psychology
- M.A. in Counseling
- "Regionally Accredited"
- "Offers a Master for Todays Most Demanding Fields in Psychology & Social Services"
- 100% Online and Flexible to Balance Your Work and Life
- "Request Information. Apply Today!"
- M.S. Criminal Justice - Forensic Psychology
- Committed to innovation, diversity, excellence, and accountability since its founding in 1996.
- Offers several programs in Business, Education, Psychology and more.
- Implements a one-to-one teaching model, partnering one student with one faculty member in each course.
- 100% of faculty members hold doctoral degrees.
- No physical residency requirements, allowing students to pursue their degree online.
- MAMFT - LGBTQ Couple and Family Therapy
- MAMFT - Military Family Therapy
- Marriage & Family Therapy - Master of Arts
- And more...
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Master of Science in General Psychology
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Master of Arts in Counseling - Professional School Counseling (PSC)
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Psychology - General Psychology
- MS in Psychology
- MS in Psychology - Applied Behavior Analysis Specialization
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Master of Science in Psychology : Applied Behavior Analysis
- Master of Science: Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology : General Psychology