Educational psychology masters programs cover a wide range of topics in education and psychology, including stages of development, psychological foundations of education, instructional strategies, and psychology research testing, methods and analysis. These degrees, as well as masters in school counseling and developmental psychology degrees, are very often of interest to those wishing to work as school psychologists, who deal with the social, emotional, academic, behavioral, and cognitive well-being of children and adolescents within a school setting. After completing a masters, you might then want to proceed to a doctorate in educational psychology.
This page tells you more about these masters programs, where they can be taken, and the career prospects after graduation.
What do you study in masters in educational psychology programs?
A typical MA or MS educational psychology online program would include the stages of development, psychological foundations of education, instructional strategies, and psychology research testing, methods and analysis. The program may include the following educational psychology masters courses:
- Biological Basis of Behaviour
- Contemporary Issues in Psychology
- Human Motivation
- Research Design
- The Cognitive Approach
- Psychology of Education
- Instructional Design
- Tests and Measurement
- Psychological Testing
- The Developmental Approach
- Culture and Psychology
A thesis may be required in addition or in place of some of the courses.
What jobs do graduates get?
One can find graduates of educational psychology in management jobs or specialist positions in education, training, testing, or research. With an educational psychology masters, in a job as a school psychologist you could expect a salary of over US$52,000 (PayScales.com). Graduates can also find jobs as guidance counselors, educators, or social workers.
List of schools and programs
- Offers online master’s and doctor of philosophy programs in Psychology.
- Students may also enhance their professional development and choose from several specializations, including Addiction, Gender Diversity Studies, Organizational Psychology, and more.
- Both the master’s and doctor of philosophy programs have no GRE or GMAT exam requirements.
- 100% of faculty possesses a doctoral degree in their field.
- Most courses are online, but some require in-person engagement in local communities through internships/externships and other clinically supervised activities.
- MAMFT - LGBTQ Couple and Family Therapy
- MAMFT - Military Family Therapy
- Marriage & Family Therapy - Master of Arts
- And more...
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Human Services, Bachelor of Science in Psychology in Addiction, and more.
- Approved as an education provider by the National Association for Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Counselors (NAADAC).
- Courses cover topics such as addiction science, assessment, prevention, and treatment.
- Students learn how to identify, plan, and use resources to help improve client situations.
- MS in Psychology - General Psychology
- MS in Psychology
- MS in Psychology - Applied Behavior Analysis Specialization
- Earn a graduate degree from an established university that shares your values of social justice and healthy communities.
- All online master’s degree courses are instructed by experienced, accomplished faculty.
- Our rigorous online master’s degrees can be completed in as little as two years.
- New online graduate students are eligible for scholarships and other offers.
- Master of Arts in Psychology: Specialization in Military Psychology
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
A liberal arts institution with 16 colleges and schools, Liberty offers programs in fields such as medicine, religion, law, aviation, cinematic arts, psychology, business, and more. Part of the Big South Conference, Liberty fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams and 32 Club Sports teams, offering fans an unparalleled college sports experience.
- M.Ed. - School Counseling
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- MA in Marriage and Family Therapy
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Master of Science in General Psychology
- MS Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology - Forensic Psychology
- MS Political Science
- And more...
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Master of Science in Psychology : Applied Behavior Analysis
- Master of Science: Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology : General Psychology
Pursue an advanced degree in Psychology or Counseling at Divine Mercy University. Study for an M.S. online, or start your Psy.D. in Clinical Psychology on campus. Learn more now
- Online M.S. Counseling
Abilene Christian University is a national leader in Christian higher education and a place where students, faculty, staff and alumni make a real difference in the world.
- Master of Marriage and Family Therapy
- Master of Marriage and Family Therapy - Treatment of Trauma
- Master of Marriage and Family Therapy - Child & Adolescent Therapy
- And more...